Due to the government mandate to safeguard the health and safety of our employees and our community, Tanner Creek Tavern will be closed for the next four weeks.
All of us at David Machado Restaurants appreciate the support the community has shown us over the past 17 years. We hope to see you soon.
Receive updates from Tanner Creek Tavern. Subscribe to our mailing list.
Tanner Creek was named after the tannery established in 1845 by Kentucky settler and Portland founding father, Daniel Lownsdale. With its headwaters originating in the West Hills, the creek traced its surface path down Canyon Road and through Goose Hollow before emptying into Couch Lake and the surrounding wetlands that now make up the modern Pearl District.
Portland’s heavy storm runoff would often cause the creek to overflow, damaging property on the expanding Westside. City fathers tackled this problem in the late 19th century by burying the creek in an enormous brick-lined culvert excavated at some points to a depth of 50 feet.
Today this subterranean public works project still functions much the way it did over a century ago. The creek meanders below the Pearl on its final destination to the Willamette River where it empties somewhere between the Broadway Bridge and the Portland Police Horse Paddock.